Yesterday, after completing our corrective reading lesson, I gave the three students in my group the option of drawing on the chalkboard--yes, there's only a chalkboard in my room circa 1983--for the last 10 minutes of class. A comical portrait of Mr. Miller and his laptop was produced by one of my more advanced students:

If only my beard were that full...
Luckily, tomorrow is Hump Day of the third week of school. I'm slowly getting to know my students, their academic levels, and will soon begin working on my IEP (Individualized Education Plan) caseload. As a special education teacher, it is my responsibility to ensure that every student in my class and caseload is granted a "free and appropriate public education" based on his or her specific needs and disabilities. The process of reviewing each IEP to make sure it's updated and accurately reflecting both rigorous and measurable academic and behavioral goals, is extremely tedious but one of immense importance. I only hope that my learning curve is quick and that I can uphold my responsibility to these kids to the best of my ability. I guess we'll see...
In the pursuit,
SM

Stumbled on your blog! I just wanted to send you some words of encouragement... I'm in TFA Houston teaching 5th grade ELA, in my seventh week of school. Ya, the learning curve is steep, but I'm sure your commitment to your kids will keep you going! GOOD LUCK!
ReplyDelete