Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Preparation Begins

It is no doubt that this entire process has taken me by surprise.  

While making the last leg of my "Decompression Tour" from Los Angeles to Bozeman, it was difficult not to question what I would be doing with myself in this economic depression and thriving job market.  With barely enough money for gas, no job, and no post-graduation plans, I was--needless to say--shocked when I received an email from Teach for America on my phone. After expecting to hear the results of my admissions nearly two months earlier, the news I was waiting for had finally arrived.

I stopped at the nearest Starbucks and logged-in to my account to find that I would be placed in the City of Brotherly Love (Philadelphia) teaching high school special education--specifically math. How ironic.

And so it begins. I've been studying endlessly for certification exams, completing pre-institute training, and doing my best to mentally prepare for the adventurous challenge to come.  I plan to use this space to document the many successes, failures, and surprises I will undoubtedly encounter in the classroom over the next two years, and I hope that you will follow me on this relentless quest to ensure that every child in our nation receives a quality education. 

T-minus 5 days and counting...

SM


1 comment: